Navigation Inhalt Metanavigation Sprachversionen Suche Suchfunktion

Identification documents and public deeds

Do you want...
  • to marry in Germany?
  • to work in Germany?
  • to present another type of document, issued in another country, to a German authority?

The documents issued in your home country are recognised in Germany under certain conditions. Foreign documents are generally only accepted if they have been authenticated or bear an apostille, thereby certifying that they are genuine.

Recognising foreign school and university certificates requires more than just proving their authenticity. Their equivalence to German courses of study also needs to be established. Foreign school or vocational qualifications are recognised as part of a separate procedure.

Documents in languages other than German must also be provided with a translation. The translations must be performed by a publicly appointed, sworn translator.